Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Yes I know I'm complaining

I'm angry at Paris.
And I'll probably be thought of as a whiny bitch after posting this but Christ was a martyr so why can't I be?

I think we can all agree that we know who the good writers are.
And Cornelia Boom is the idol
the new pop star
the prodigy

Now before y'all get crazy, understand this.

I LOVE CORNELIA BOOM.
She is an amazing writer
and I've read every post of hers
this is not about Cornelia Boom

She is the attraction.  She lights up the town.  She causes people to fall in love and wish that the moments in her little life would never run dry and we could reminisce in it forever.  But the fact is you can't see the same place everyday and call yourself anything more than a tourist.

It makes sense.  When you go to Paris you see the Eiffel Tower.  You take pictures that you'll probably never see again after you show your friends and family.  You try to take in the sight and marvel at its beauty because you might not get to see it again.  Here's the problem.

You are a resident

And tourist behavior in a resident is ridiculous.
So if you're gonna spend weeks, months or even years in Paris then make sure you get a chance to see the little cafe that is down a forgotten alleyway with its paint chipped and workers gladly cleaning the dishes from the only customers of the day.  They all deserve something.  The forgotten painters.  The weary musicians.  Those guys who have learned how to make themselves completely freeze, which must be a marvel because we never get to stop moving in our lives and these guys make a living doing that.

Give them all a chance

or two

or six

and please

keep admiring the Eiffel Tower

But don't forget that there are people who are waiting to be seen
people waiting to get recognition
that you ignore because you don't see the same beauty in them that is in the Eiffel Tower.
Look around and see the other people admiring its beauty
and find out their stories too.

Cornelia Boom, this isn't about you

This is about the tourists who have tricked themselves into thinking that owning property makes them a citizen that contributes to society.

When the reality is

If you stay inside your house and admire lights from afar you're fooling yourself into thinking that you've made a home when the truth of the matter is that you've made yourself a hotel with no vacancy because you fill the only room.

This is not about Cornelia Boom.
This is me pointing out the fact that somehow the people that stand right next to her throughout the week are completely ignored with no one complimenting their new red shoes or telling them that they have the most beautiful eyes that they had ever seen.

Yes I know I'm complaining
but I'm complaining for the others
because I'm content in my own being
but they may not.
I don't need your validation
but it would've been nice to have had when I felt a longing for it.

5 comments:

  1. I like the flow of this and I know the feeling. It reads like a rant, something most can't do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY EFF THIS IS PARIS. This is what everyone needs to understand about Paris. You are wise beyond you years and this is what you should be getting out of Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS. yes. painted the picture perfectly. yes. yes. yes.

    ReplyDelete